About G. Owen & Sons
Brothers Henry and George Owen bought the company in 1958 from an existing coal merchant who supplied coal to domestic customers in and around the Mid-Wales area.
Henry Owen retired due to illness in 1968 and his brother George continued to trade on his own until 1970 when his two sons Murray and Robert joined him. The sons became partners a year later and the company changed names to become G. Owen & Sons. Then in 1973 George Owen retired leaving Murray and Robert to develop the company to its present form where their sons Daniel and Rhys are now also directors in the business.
After three years of sustained growth it was decided to expand the business and in 1976 the brothers purchased the first pre-packing facility, which opened up new areas of business throughout the UK in the retail market of the coal industry.
The company continued to grow, and by 1982 decisions were taken to re-locate to its present location in another area of Newtown called the “Lion Works” site. Availability of space at the new location enabled the company to move into other areas of business including storage and distribution, whilst retaining its commitment to the supply of domestic fuel.
For over thirty years G. Owen & Sons has been a family business built on a reputation of giving the customer a good service and a quality product, and now in its third generation it is still its intention to maintain and improve the same objectives of service and quality.